Monday, March 7, 2011

Tips For You and Your Golden Retriever

Training Tips For You and Your Golden Retriever

Chewing

Golden Retrievers like many other dog breeds love to chew and seem to love to chew anything that crosses their path. It is important to train our Golden Retrievers to get their chewing habit under control. Now there are many stores that stock those chew toys and they are often preferred, but there is another way that you can help your Golden Retriever take care of this instinct and still ease the pain of teething.

With this method, you will take an old sock and fill it up with several ice cubes. After you have placed the cubes in the sock, put a knot in the sock and place the sock in a big plastic bag and place it in the freezer. When you see your dog trying to chew on your shoes or slippers or the nearest table, give him a sock. It is important that you give this to your dog when you have the time to spend in the same area with him. You do not want to give this to your dog and leave him unattended as he could chew the sock and swallow pieces of it. I like to keep a few of these in the freezer so that we never run out of the sock chew toys.

Digging

Have you been outside in your backyard after your dog had the run of the yard? Did you fall into a bunch of potholes? If you are like me, I throw my hands up and just shake my head. I know that Charlie has been digging again. Golden Retrievers love to dig and it is important to understand that this is part of their nature. If they are outside, they will dig holes in your yard. If they are inside, your dog may try to dig holes in your floor, tear up your carpet, and dig on the couch or on the bed. I have found a way to train my Golden Retriever Charlie to dig as he needs to but in such a way that I still have a yard and house left.

The best way to help your Golden Retriever fill this need is to create an area that they are free to dig in. Take an old sandbox or purchase a swimming pool. Fill this with soil or sand and put it in the backyard. Bury a couple of favorite toys in this area, and then take him to this area and encourage him to come to this area when he wants to dig.

Leash Training

If you were like me when I first got Charlie, I wanted to go walking with him. Like many people, he took me for a walk rather than me taking him for a walk. So, I decided it was time to make some changes. Since Charlie was just a puppy, I first put the leash and collar on him when he was in the house so that he walked around dragging the leash alongside him. I used a fairly long leash and then I picked up the other end and called him to me. Every time that he came to me, I made sure to really praise him. Now we did this several times a day for many weeks until he got used to coming to me. Then we went outdoors in the yard and worked on this outside. It took awhile, but we kept working on it until he would come longer distances. With much praise and when he came to me we got used to using the leash.




Cyndie King - This article gives you just three tips on how to train your Golden Retriever. For the best guide in the industry, click on tinyurl.com/y8p7vo

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Dog knot women idea